Usually our files save at our computer either at My Document folders or others. When we already work with a lot of files, of course we will have a lot of important files. How about if the hard disk is corrupt or because of something the files can not read properly and that is our important work. Well, this problem will become a big problem, because we already thinking a lot and spend a lot of time to work with this corrupt files. But, don't worry if we already have a backup files, because we can find the corrupt files from the backup, at least we don't have to start from the beginning of work.
Some Microsoft Windows product already have a backup software include in the operating system, but I think the way it work is not so good for me. After try some software, especially good opensource or freeware, finally I choose Cobian Free Backup software for Microsoft Windows. The Cobian Backup Software is really free and can work at almost Microsoft Windows product. I already try this software at Windows XP and Windows 2003 server, the software can work with fantastic result.
At the beginning try this software, I use the version 8, but at Year 2008, the version 9 already release and the latest is Cobian Backup Amanita version 220.127.116.11. You can find the software at http://www.cobiansoft.com.
This software is created by a smart and nice young people, his name is Luis Cobian. At version 7, the Cobian Backup is opensource, but for some reason, starting at version 8 above, the software is not opensource anymore, but still free for everyone. Do not worry about spyware, because from my experience, this is free of spyware.
I really like to use this software for my backup management, because it can schedule when to download and what files or folders to download. And the filter features is really awesome. I also can save the backup files at any location of my computer or USB external drive. If we have a FTP server, this software also have a feature to send the backup data to FTP server, this is fantastic for me. The Volume Shadow Copy feature at Cobian will make the backup can work at every files although the files still running or locking by some software.
This what I like:
- Can work with Schedule: once, weekly, monthly, yearly.
- The backup files can automatically create the timestamps of backup time.
- Use Volume Shadow Copy for backup all files although locking by software.
- Backup with: Full, Differential, Incremental with number of backup files before deleted.
- Backup several or all files and folders, with filter by name or file extension (wild card).
- The Backup files can save at any folder or USB external.
- The Backup files can send to FTP server, the Cobain can send command to delete old files at FTP server.
- Compressed backup files with ZIP or 7z.
- Backup files can be split at some size.
- Backup files can have password and encryption.
- Send command before and after backup
- and many useful feature and FREE